We have finished revamping our filastruder enclosure. Here is what we have changed:
One of the biggest changes is the guide assembly. It is now a single printed part that mounts to the front support. It uses a 50mm fan instead of a 80mm fan. It also uses a single guide. At 4ft and using ABS, we got great results and holding tolerences of +-.05mm.
We added a spine to the enclosure. That makes the overall enclosure more rigid. This will help with the newer motors additional torque and allows for operation without the back panel.
The supports went from 1/2 ply to 3/4 ply. This prevents de-lamination of the plywood from the threaded inserts.
We have added two T-nuts to the spine. This allows for the machine to be wall mounted using two 1/4-20 bolts.
Things has been quiet on our blog but that does not mean we have been doing nothing. We have been working with Tim Elmore (Designer of the Filastruder) over the past few months. We are happy to say that we will be manufacturing the assembled Filastruders and after the Kickstarter, we will be selling them. Tim has presented us with a great opportunity and we could not be happier. This is a great device and I encourage anyone who is looking to make filament at home, to buy one. Our CNC router is ready to crank enclosures out and we are ready to assemble them. Show your support and help this project succeed. Check out the Kickstarter and spread the word!!!
We helped design the enclosure and I am happy with the way it came out. I also like how our machine has a huge scar!!
Our initial build before the enclosure was designed.
Just making some 1.75mm filament
The CNC Router cutting out the enclosure.